Harness the Power of CollaborationPublished: 2019-05-21 12:38
Nostalgia turns into a Spark
In early 2017, I was struggling with a work problem and called up a former R&D colleague to get his support. He had knowledge in a field that I was researching for a claim. After that interaction, I longed for the days when we had a unified TENA® R&D team in Philadelphia.
The team was dynamic, different personalities, different experiences, and LOUD!!! It was great, we built ideas together all during lunch time in the Aspen conference room. I wanted that group back, however we had all moved on to different roles.
The spark turned into action, I booked lunch and got two other passionate colleagues involved ….
Dressed Up in Overalls and Looks Like Work
The Women of Essity Group was just starting up and we decided an Employee Resource group for Technical Careers would be next.
Easy enough right????
We had some discussions with HR and learned about the process.
- Create a Charter
- Create a Vision
- Create a Plan.
If that wasn’t enough we had to find sponsors, and anchor the group at very high levels of the organization. Man it sounded liked work!!! It sounded like a lot of work and we were not even sure where to start. However like any project, we broke down the work into bite size chunks, and relied on the unique strengths of each person.
Like magic we got help from so many parts of the organization, they felt our passion, they knew we were committed. Help came from HR, Communications, GBIS, TORK® & TENA® Business Leads just to name a few.
Two years later.. TAG(Technical Affinity Group) is a full fledged group. We just celebrated our 1 year Anniversary!!! Along the way we learned so much and continue to learn from our committed base of fellow technical colleagues.
The biggest success of the group is that we contribute value to the business through our Shark Tank Business Challenges:
- TORK® Open Innovation
- TENA® Cost Save Ideaà the first challenge that TAG will dive from Feasibility to Launch
And many more to come 😊
How can you Harness the Power of Collaboration?
- Start collaborating the moment you have the inspiration
- Start masterminding… think who else can you involve and realize it is bigger than youà this is where the energy comes from
- Have a specific vision or common objective that your group shares
- Develop a contract where you divide time commitment, workload, and also benefits from the project for each of you
- Unconditionally accept the other person’s skills and methods of working
For additional resources on harnessing the power of Collaboration:
Check out Forbes: